[TriLUG] Topic for Eric Raymond's talk, Monday February 10th ?

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Sun Feb 2 21:07:06 EST 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Chris Hedemark wrote:

>On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 06:41 PM, Jeff Jackowski wrote:
>
>> In any case, lets not let Chris's absence prevent us from recording the
>> event. But we should respect ESR's wish to not be recorded, should he
>> have
>> such a wish. I couldn't tell from his web site. Someone should ask
>> ahead
>> of the meeting. I'd rather not have anything do with with recording the
>> event otherwise.
>
>I'm living out of town, but like I said, get those three guys on stage
>at the same time and I'd find a way to be there, camera in hand.
>
>If you end up doing two or more cameras, I'm probably going to be
>upgrading my editing software soon to be able to gracefully handle
>that.  If I get the upgrade, it would be worthwhile to send the raw
>footage from all the MiniDV cameras up to me to have edited together.
>If you only do one camera, or I don't get the upgrade soon, anyone down
>there with an OS X box has all the stuff needed to do a simple edit.

Being that TriLUG is a Linux users group, I think I should point out that
anyone who has Linux on a properly equiped Intel (or Alpha, I think) based
system can do a simple edit, or a not so simple one.

I've edited some of the video I took at Dragon*Con last year, and with the
help of Cinelerra I have used crossfades and used multiple sources of
video to make up a single frame. I have also made an MST3K style video
using a short film from the Prelinger archives and some video of myself
and a few friends in front of bright bed sheets.

It can edit together video from seporate sources just fine; the only
problem it might have is with getting all the sources in sync.  I've
messed with it enough to at least have a clue about how to deal with that,
although I haven't tried it without sync marks in the audio before.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/