[TriLUG] disk partitioning

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Feb 4 11:00:30 EST 2003

If all the partitions are on the same disk, then it really doesn't
matter as far as speed goes. You might actually get some performance
from a single partition as reads and writes might not move the disk head
as much. The reasons for multiple partitions are many, but include:
When upgrading or reinstalling, you don't need to wipe the /home drive
if it is its own partition.
I like keeping /etc in its own partition as well for the same reason
Multiple partitions makes it easy to move to more than one drive
In databases, it's good to keep the data on a single partition as the
only thing on it as otherwise data can become fragmented across the disk.
I personally like havening a small / partition and use the bulk in /usr
and /var

If you feel adventurous, take a look at LVM
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html). Resizing, moving and
spanning partitions across multiple disks. It's cool. And supported in
RH 8.0.