[TriLUG] help - kernel complie error

Greg gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 5 13:40:54 EST 2003

This is a new one for me - an error while performing a 'make bzImage'.
I downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org then:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/
make mrproper
make xconfig

(made changes, enabled USB, enabled my ethernet drives, etc)..

saved and exited
make dep (complete without obvious error)
make bzImage (crash.. - here's the last thing written to STDERR (or OUT,
whatever.. it ended up on my monitor)
a /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/lib/lib.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o: In function `hidinput_hid_event':
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.text+0xdecd): undefined reference to `input_event'
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.text+0xdf4a): undefined reference to `input_event'
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.text+0xdfa1): undefined reference to `input_event'
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.text+0xe026): undefined reference to `input_event'
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o: In function `hidinput_connect':
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.text+0xe24c): undefined reference to
`input_register_device'
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o: In function `hidinput_hid_event':
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.text+0xdf0d): undefined reference to `input_event'
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o: In function `hidinput_disconnect':
drivers/usb/usbdrv.o(.text+0xe269): undefined reference to
`input_unregister_device'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

On a hunch I thought his must have something to do with the USB system
so I mucked around in there and couldn't find anything too terribly
incorrect (though, as we may recall I'm still new to this).  I'll copy
the stuff related to USB at the end of this e-mail.

Any help would be very, uh, helpful (and appreciated).

Greg

# CONFIG_INPUT_IFORCE_USB is not set
# USB support
CONFIG_USB=y
# CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
# Miscellaneous USB options
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
# CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
# CONFIG_USB_LONG_TIMEOUT is not set
# USB Host Controller Drivers
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD is not set
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=m
# USB Device Class drivers
# CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MIDI is not set
#   SCSI support is needed for USB Storage
# CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
# USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
# CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV is not set
# CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK is not set
# CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set
# USB Imaging devices
# CONFIG_USB_DC2XX is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MDC800 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SCANNER is not set
# USB Multimedia devices
#   Video4Linux support is needed for USB Multimedia device support
# USB Network adaptors
# CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS is not set
# CONFIG_USB_RTL8150 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_KAWETH is not set