[TriLUG] Red Hat's 12 month policy

Greg gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 5 13:56:35 EST 2003

> Define "forget".  Does that mean they shouldn't change the client class they
> are trying to service?  I am happy that RH is trying on pinstriped suits.  I
> don't see how RH can service enterprise and SOHO simultaneously.

After reading the related posts with the different subject name I don't
feel as bad as I did before about 'the 12 months of support'.  I don't
mind RH trying to make more money; not at all.  I would just like to see
distributions support for longer than 12 months after initial release.
How about 18?  18 months sound reasonable.  I'm just worried about
overlap between the versions I'm running now and what is coming down the
road in the future.

In the end I suppose this just means more work for me.  I'm going to
have to pay more attention to updates for services that are running on
the boxes and I'll have to apply those updates myself instead of just
downloading some RPMs from RH.  I wanted to push for having my company
pay the (correct me if I'm wrong) $60.00/yr per server for the automated
updates for the server from RH but now that sell is going to be
impossible.  Who's going to pay the $60 per year for a grand total of
only one year of support )assuming you upgraded and/or installed your
machine on the release date of the new version).

..but this is all neither here nor there.. like I said, after reading
the other posts under the other subject I'm going to let this one play
out a little bit and see just what RH's plan is.

Greg