[TriLUG] Music, Musicians and the Penguin

James P. Jones jjones at auspex.com
Wed Feb 5 16:29:52 EST 2003

Roy,

Stick with Mac or Windows with music.   There are too many software packages
in those two platforms that are fully supported (drivers,  codexes, &
support personnel)  inexpensive, and easy to obtain.

I record with Acid, Sonar 2.1, and use several software synths.   I have
used Linux since RedHat 5.0 and with all of the licensing issues and
"shitty" software, I recommend just stay with a standard.  Almost all of the
music software today features copyright protection to protect your work
also.

I love Linux but, for desktop publishing, network administration, etc.   I
even use "Krabby", & "CD-Toaster"  to record & burn songs but after seeing
what is currently available I don't recommend moving to the Linux platform.

Music software is written for the minority and unless the industry decides
Linux is lucrative there will be no real professional quality software.

Also, make sure you check on your band's name "Black Eyed Susan" is a name
of a band on the Sony label.  The band was lead by the singer of "Brittany
Fox" you may run into some legal issues of things take off.

Hope this helps,

JJ

James P. Jones
Technical Support Manager