[TriLUG] RH 8.0 and kernel 2.4.20

Greg gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 6 11:09:30 EST 2003

> Red Hat Linux 8.0, like most sane Linux distributions, uses rc.* scripts
> to start the system after init is kicked off. The rc.sysinit script
> assumes that all the USB devices are modular, and loads them manually
> (since they don't get put into the initrd).
>
> But you built them in. So that's going to fail. Modprobe is what is
> giving you the can't locate module HID error. Either edit
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, or just ignore it. ;)
>
> ~spot

Ah.  I understand now.  "can't locate **module** HID error".. that makes
much more sense now.  Yes, there would be no modules since they are
built into the kernel hence modprobe bars when it can't find the module
for HID.

For now I'll ignore it.  I want to make sure the 2.4.20 kernel is stable
before I go and make it the default over 2.4.18-14.

Very interesting...

Thanks again!

Greg