[TriLUG] Recording Eric Raymond's Talk(s)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Feb 7 16:58:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 16:48, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 16:19, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> >

> > On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 04:14 PM, Brian Daniels wrote:
> >
> > > I get a 404 using Konqueror.  The domain is resolving, it's a qwest.net
> > > error page.
> >
> > Most unusual.  So I am not crazy.
> >
> > Safari is, of course, konqueror derived so this could be indicative of
> > either a software bug common to the two or of the web server doing bad
> > things based on the user agent header.
>
> Well, I think it's the web server.  So far we've tried it here using
> Konqueror, Safari, Chimera, Opera, IE (under Crossover Office), wget,
> and telnet (manually typing in HTTP/1.1 commands).  The only one I've
> been able to get work is Mozilla.  Mike Johnson couldn't even get that.
> Jeremy Portzer, however, got wget to work and put it up here:
> http://www.trilug.org/~jeremy/minidv_sp_vs_lp.htm
>
> Very weird.

Agreed.  FWIW, manually typing in HTTP/1.1 commands worked fine for me.

$ telnet www.hallesservice.com 80
Trying 204.147.80.67...
Connected to www.hallesservice.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /minidv_sp_vs_lp.htm HTTP/1.1
Host: www.hallesservice.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
[snip rest of page which comes through fine]

I checked to see if it was a round-robin DNS problem (maybe servers out
of sync or something), but I always get the same IP address.

It could be that there are multiple servers behind that single IP
address through a load balancer, and some of the backend servers aren't
in sync.

--Jeremy