[TriLUG] system trashed - trying to recover

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 7 21:11:05 EST 2003

You should tar up /etc
  tar -czf my_etc.tgz /etc

Then ftp that over to a server.  That will get all your mail config
files as well as your aliases and login/passwords

To get all the mail in transit (assuming Sendmail) then you'll need to
get:
  /var/spool/mqueue  - mail in transit
  /var/spool/mail    - mail waiting for pop

If you need any help, let me know!

I've had this happen before where the disk crashed and I simply replaced
the disk and left the old disk in as a secondary IDE.  Then I moved data
over directly (at least the stuff that still existed after the crash.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes