[TriLUG] mini-itx

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 9 08:45:49 EST 2003

On Sunday 09 February 2003 01:56, Greg wrote:

> http://www.mini-itx.com/
>
> Neat stuff.

Very neat indeed.

A note of caution.  Research the video chips on the boards before you buy.
I've been tolling around lists shopping my video problem.  I think my Trident
9880 based video card is at fault.  I've also learned from others that the
9880 is embedded on some mobos.  These mini boards may have this chip on them
and there's no AGP slot for replacement. And besides, that would ruin the
effect.  With the 9880 and XFree86 4.1 you can expect your system to lock up.
There is some hint that 4.2 stops the locks.  I've not tried it.  There was a
hint that turning off DPMS would correct matters.  It did not.

The same note of caution goes for the embedded NICs as well.  I've had good
experience in this area.

Mike M.