[TriLUG] RH8 red hat packages

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed Feb 12 08:57:04 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:12 am, Morris Walton wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> The RH8 package manager seems a little bit too dumbed down to me.  I
> have downloaded the entire distribution and installed all that I
> wanted.  Now when I want to install another package, I can't tell If it
> comes with the distribution and if it does if I have installed it or
> not.  It would be good to have a list of the packages on the
> distribution that I haven't installed yet.  Does anybody know how to do
> that?

Try checking on http://rpmfind.net to look for existing rpms for the
application that you want to install. Then, check from the results if it's on
any Red Hat 8.0 rpm (for your architechture, chances are it's a i386).

If it's there, use RedHat package manager, 'cause it's there somewhere.

If it's not there, you have a few options:
- get a Mandrake 9.0 / ASP Linux 7.3 rpm for the same app. Those two are
pretty close to RedHat 8.0, so chances are that it would work.

- get a Mandrake 9.0 / ASP Linux 7.3 SRPM for the same app. Then, rebuild the
RPM for your machine. It will most probably work. Maybe you'll need to change
a little the specs file.

- get yourself a tar.gz and, with checkinstall, build your own rpm for your
RedHat 8.0 machine. http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux Machine # 38068