[TriLUG] X11TransSocket UNIX Connect: Can't connect: errno = 111

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Feb 12 20:24:00 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 20:19, Mike M wrote:
> When I telnet to another box and run vim I get:
> X11TransSocket UNIX Connect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> 5 times and then I can edit with no further problems.
>
> When I ssh to the same box and use vim in the same way as before I get no
> problems.
>
> I use the same local end box each time.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.

Simple solution: Don't do that!
Why are you using telnet !?!  Everything you type, passwords, etc,
whatever, get passed in the clear!!!  Telnet should be abolished from
the face of the earth... except maybe for manually doing HTTP or other
stuff like that.

Better answer:  what does echo $DISPLAY tell you?  Ssh is probably
setting $DISPLAY properly for X forwarding, while telnet is not that
smart.

--Jeremy