[TriLUG] X11TransSocket UNIX Connect: Can't connect: errno = 111

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Feb 13 12:35:50 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 22:23, Mike M wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 20:24, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> >
> > Better answer:  what does echo $DISPLAY tell you?  Ssh is probably
> > setting $DISPLAY properly for X forwarding, while telnet is not that
> > smart.
>
> mike01 at debian:~$ echo $DISPLAY
> :0.0

Okay, this means that the telnet client and server have passed on your
environment, including the local $DISPLAY variable, to the remote
computer.  A $DISPLAY of :0.0 is correct to make X programs display
locally, but doesn't work properly on the remote computer. (It's trying
to display the X program on the remote computer's console, instead of
redirecting back to the local box.)

Since you initially said you're trying to run vim, which you really
don't need X forwarding for, just type "unset DISPLAY" after logging
into the remote computer, and that should solve the problem.
If you actually want to run an X program, set DISPLAY equal to the IP
address of the local computer, for example:
	export DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0
(substitute IP address as appropriate)

You will also need to run "xhost +192.168.remote.ip" on the local
computer to give the remote computer access to display its programs
locally.

The reason I recommend ssh is that you don't need to worry about ANY of
the above nonsense with $DISPLAY and xhost.  Ssh takes care of it for
you.  Just use ssh and your problems will be solved. :-)

--Jeremy