[TriLUG] Re: OT advice on connectivity and machine closet/room

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Feb 13 16:50:16 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 16:44, STaylor at srspos.com wrote:

> You probably won't need a router if you have a simple network. I would run
> with something small and web based.
> Netscreen has a good product www.netscreen.com or you can look at any of
> the big guys, like cisco, foundry etc. You might also want to consider a
> linux box with RouteD and IPtables.

If you do go with a Linux box for the firewall/router I recommend
shorewall -- http://www.shorewall.net/ .  I've implemented it on several
machines at work with great success, and Tanner Lovelace has done so on
the TriLUG network as well.  I know several other TriLUG members use it
too.  It makes Iptables so much easier to figure out!

--Jeremy