[TriLUG] OT advice on connectivity and machine closet/room

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Thu Feb 13 17:03:35 EST 2003

Roadrunner has always done right by me.  I'd blow off the ac unit unless a human will be working in the closet.  As long as you have a little airflow, your ambient won't creep up to that 30-35 deg C limit on the semiconductors.  The hard disks might not like it, though.

Of course, low power units totally eliminate the need to remove heat.  There is none.  Hmmm.  Who was it that mentioned those uITX w/ DC-DC power supply?  Cool stuff.  Way cool stuff.  10W instead of 200-300W?  Yeah, that'll make a difference.

Me thinks the last rack I got was a Chatsworth AL for around a buck and a quarter.  I've always been partial to Tripplite UPS.  If you're under 100 M distance on any cable run, go copper.  Amp is my favorite flavor patch panel.  Any of those SMC, LinkSys, Netgear or other routers pack a lot of features in one small box with a cost near that of toilet paper.

Best wishes,

jim