[TriLUG] OT advice on connectivity and machine closet/room

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 14 00:58:53 EST 2003

JoJo,

I see someone already mentioned power.  Remember to get more than you need,
in case you upgrade, or especially if you have or may ever need an array of
any size.  APC and Tripplite are decent UPS makers.  If you're getting an AC
unit, make sure it has a place to get rid of the heat.  Someone said you
probably wouldn't need it, but if you're talking about a closet sized area,
you'll probably be better off with it.  Plus, you want to secure the room,
so leaving it open for air flow is probably not the best option.

One thing to remember when pulling cable for connectivity:  check the fire
codes.  Especially when going between floors, you may need to have special
conduit put in to maintain the required firewall.  Cat 5e or Cat 6 should be
quite adequate for your bandwidth needs, provided you have a 10/100 switch
on each floor for connectivity.

One last tip, look into APC MasterSwitches.  They can come in very, very,
very handy for remotely rebooting unresponsive machines, either via a telnet
shell, web interface, or SNMP command.  I love them.  Plus, machines with
multiple power supplies can be plugged into two separate switches, connected
on two separate circuits, giving you an added layer of redundancy.

Just my two cents, as one who's done data center stuff for a long time.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--