[TriLUG] Re: OT advice on connectivity and machine closet/room

STaylor at srspos.com STaylor at srspos.com
Fri Feb 14 13:12:23 EST 2003

There is a relationship between your Power Supplies and Heat output.

Powerware, APC and TrippLite should all document this on their web site.

If you have higher voltage equipment there will be greater heat output.

Thus, you need a higher cubic feet per second output from your cooling
unit.

Don't forget that cubic volume of space in the room where your racks sit
will also help.

If you have a couple of racks in a big space for the heat to diffuse
through you can probably get away with an inwall or in ceiling unit.

Much cheaper than a roof mount as in most cases you need to involve your
landlord, who then involve the building engineers to make sure your
implementation passes code. then they get permits and mount the unit which
is itself quite expensive.

If you can do in ceiling I have used this before with great success. The
heat hits the space above the drop ceiling and diffuses.

None of the above headache.

Good Luck,

Shawn

Shawn Taylor