[TriLUG] RPM hanging..

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat Feb 15 22:09:25 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 19:14, john broome wrote:
> are there any other RPM hanging issues out there other than the db
> lockups?

I assume this is under Red Hat Linux 8.0 ?

When you say the "db lockups," have you done the following?
* Killed all rpm (up2date, apt, etc) processes, with -9 if necessary
* Removed the files /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
* Rebuilt your databases with "rpm --rebuilddb" ?  (can take a while)

(Rebuilding the databases isn't strictly necessary for the standard
lockup/bug, but solves other problems that might result from a
hung/killed RPM.)

Also, I upgraded to a newer glibc (glibc-2.3-2 from rawhide) which
solved the problems for me.  Don't think that particular glibc is
available any more, but you might look around.

--Jeremy