[TriLUG] Redhat 8 upgrade toubles

Brad Oaks bradoaks at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 19 11:35:27 EST 2003

Jeff Jackowski wrote:

>I need some help getting the computer I use most to work properly again. I
>upgraded it from Redhat 7.1 (I think; I don't upgrade very often) to 8. A
>few minor things, like "rpm -q" no longer work, but the real problem is
>that I can only use X when I'm logged in as root.
>
>When I log in with my regular user account and start X, I'm told that the
>file .gconf-test-locking-file couldn't be locked. /home is mounted on NFS,
>so that seems a likely culprit. The server is a Redhat 7.0 system that
>I've been ugrading without Redhat's help. Its running a 2.4.20 kernel and
>I just gave it nfs-utils-1.0.1 and util-linux-2.11z in an attempt to
>resolve this problem.
>
>The statd and lockd stuff are running, but I get "lockdsvc: invalid
>argument" when I try to start the lock daemon. Stuff on the web says this
>isn't a problem, but since there is a problem and I don't know what it is,
>I figured it was worth mentioning.
>
>Thanks for any help, and have fun!

I had a similar problem after upgrading to RH8.0 last month.  My home
directories were nfs mounted from a FreeBSD machine, but otherwise the
same problem.  On the client I turned on statd; on the server I turned
on statd and lockd.

client# service --status-all | egrep "statd|lockd"
rpc.statd (pid 550) is running...

BSD_server# ps -aux | grep rpc
root      91  0.0  0.1 263084  544  ??  Is   25Jan03   0:00.00 rpc.statd
root      93  0.0  0.1   948  548  ??  Is   25Jan03   0:00.00 rpc.lockd

It was a pain to have graphical logins stop after an upgrade.  But I
suppose if I logged in to multiple clients at the same time, I'd learn
to appreciate the shared directory locking.

Not sure if this helps any,
--bradoaks