[TriLUG] Corrupt Redhat 8.1 disks

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Feb 20 12:44:32 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 02:35, Jeff Jackowski wrote:
> From what I can tell, the driver disks to go along with the boot floppy to
> the Redhat 8.1 beta are corrupt. It seems the installer wants to find a
> DOS-y filesystem on them and they don't have one. Does anyone else see the
> same problem?

There is no such thing as Red Hat Linux 8.1.  I think you're possibly
referring to the "Phoebe" beta, of which the latest version is 8.0.94 ?

I just tested the boot floppy and network driver diskette process in
Phoebe 3; it worked fine for me.  Indeed the floppies use an ext2
filesystem which is what the installer expects.

Did you verify that the floppies are good?  (make sure "dd" told you
"2880+0 records out" when you made them, or to be completely certain, dd
the floppies *back* to a file and md5sum them).

Also check the alt-F3 (F4?) error console for information that might be
useful.

If you've verified the floppies are good but still having problems, a
better place to ask this might be the Phoebe mailing list, at

--Jeremy