[TriLUG] Jack Valenti visiting Duke

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Thu Feb 20 19:05:49 EST 2003

   Jack Valenti, the president of the MPAA, will be giving a lecture at
Duke on Monday, February 24th at noon.  Details are here:

http://www.law.duke.edu/features/news_valenti.html

   It is not clear if there will be a Q&A session afterwards, but we (or
at least I) hope there will be.  We would like to come with several
prepared questions on the subject of copyright and technology.
Obviously, the point of these questions is not to convince Mr Valenti of
the damage that overprotective copyright legislation leads to, but to

1. not allow only one side of the debate to air, and
2. demonstrate to the audience that many of the copyright proposals the
MPAA currently supports (such as the SSSCA, or whatever is has morphed
into) are unreasonable to technology and the average Joe/Jane.

   We would like to make a civil but sizeable showing at the lecture,
which is open to the public.  Hopefully we can get a good cross-section
of students, staff, faculty, researchers, and even family members or any
other concerned citizens.

   Anyone who wishes to attend, or even help formulate questions and
offer tips on how to best approach this opportunity, is encouraged to
attend an IRC meeting tomorrow starting at 2pm.  Join
irc.dulug.duke.edu, on channel #mpaa.

   See http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/mpaa/ before and during the IRC
meeting to keep up-to-date.

Thanks, and please pass this along to any and all interested parties.
-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:	justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:	http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/