[TriLUG] Samba Question

Mark Fowle mark at thefowles.com
Sat Feb 22 22:57:50 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 19:12, Jon Carnes wrote:
> What happens when you restart the service on the server (or just the
> nmdb)?

I don't see any error messages in the nmdb.log -- but even restarting
the nmdb doesn't seem to cure it.

> I think this error has something to do with the "ultra secret security"
> number that is generated by a PDC for a domain and then shared with
> authenticated machines at the point when you authenticate them.  If the
> server can't access this "ultra secret security" number then it can't
> authenticate any other windows (samba) server to the domain, and it
> can't add a new server to the domain.

Is this the secrets.tdb ? Is there a way to regenerate this file or some
way to find out exactly whats missing without dumping everything and
starting over?

> A domain has a SAM associated with it that authenticates each machine as
> being a member of the domain.  Each server on the domain has an
> individual SAM associated with it that authenticates that servers
> identity.

Should there also be a SAM account in the smbpasswd ?  I've never seen a
reference that says to....

Thanks,
Mark