[TriLUG] imap question -- folder deletion

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 24 10:26:30 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 10:20, H Brett Bolen wrote:
> Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 10:04, H Brett Bolen wrote:
>
> >>I'm using mozilla 1.2 to read my trilug mail.  I've created a folder,
> >>and now I want to get rid of it.
> >>

> >More importantly, your subscription list
> >(/var/spool/imap/brettb/.mailboxlist) shows that you're still subscribed
> >to the folder.  I suspect that mozilla is reading the subscription list,
> >and re-creating that folder when it doesn't exist.
> >
> This fixes it.  I looked throught the files, but I did
> not look through the dot.files.  I'm not clear on what
> subscribe means for mail anyway.

The "subscription list" is a feature of most IMAP clients that allows
you to specify which folders you want to see.  This list of folders is
kept on the server in that .mailboxlist file so that your subscriptions
are the same across IMAP clients.  (I don't believe pine uses the
subscription list, but Evolution and Mozilla do.)

The subscription list is handy for me -- I keep old mail archived in
some folders that I don't look at too often, so I keep them
"unsubscribed".  This way I don't see them in evolution and mozilla, but
the mail is still there if I need to retrieve it.  (I can either use
pine, which doesn't pay attention to the subscriptions, or I can just
temporarily re-subscribe through the Mozilla or Evolution UI.)

--Jeremy