[TriLUG] Installfest hardware planning

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 24 16:32:02 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> On Monday 24 February 2003 02:35 pm, Merle Watts wrote:
> > I can bring my desktop to burn cd's.  Let me know if it ya want me to.
> > Will also bring a stack of 100 blank disks.
>
> Chris Hedemark had a great idea last InstallFest. Someone donates blank CDs to
> TriLUG and TriLUG sells burned Linux distributions "a la carte", for $1/CD
> (or something), inorder to increase TriLUG funds.
>
> Has someone thought about setting up a server with the ost recent/used
> distros?

Yes, please read my original message.

> RedHat 7.3/8.0/8.1?
> Mandrake 8.2/9.0/9.1?
> Debian Stable/Unstable
> Slackware 8.1
> Knoppix
> (.. insert here your favourite distro...)

I'm setting up a server with Red Hat 7.3 and 8.0, Mandrake 9, and Debian
stable (maybe testing if I still have room) -- network isntall trees.
This will be on Durham Tech's network; we'll have the information
available at the installfests.  No Internet installations will be possible
due to bandwidth constraints.

Jason is setting up a CD-burning workstation with the ISOs of MDK 9 and
Red Hat 8.0.  I agree that we should repeat Chris's plan of selling the
CDs for a small fee as a minor fundraiser.  Merle, if you could bring the
CDs for this and work with Jason on getting the server that would be cool.
Or if you think we should have two servers that's fine.

Let's say setup begins at 9am.  There will be quite a few tables and
chairs that need to be moved, and we'll have to setup the network and power.
There aren't all that many power outlets in the room, so the more
extension cords and power strips that people can bring, the better!

Thanks,
Jeremy