[TriLUG] redhat-config-network question

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Feb 26 11:13:05 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 Lisa Lorenzin <lorenzin at 1000plus.com> wrote:
> is there something obvious that i'm missing?  or is redhat's network
> configuration tool really only usable if gnome is installed?  that
> seems

It probably depends on something that depends on something specific in
gnome's libs. If there isn't a bug already filed on this, there probably
should be one :)

> incredibly b0rken to me, especially considering that other config
> tools(services, printers, etc) are all accessible.  i'd check bugzilla
> and see if there's any kind of bug on it, but i can't get through to
> the site today.

Dunno what that is. I get to it fine, although I'm a bad example for
testing network speeds to Red Hat's bugzilla. *grin*

While a lot of people are going to chant "use apt-rpm! use apt-rpm!"
because, well, it's the cool tool of the month, I'm going to go the
other way - rhn_register and up2date are your friends. use rhn_register
to register with RHN (it's free!) and then "up2date -i"
redhat-config-network - up2date will resolve your dependencies, and
install what's needed to make it run. Plus you can "up2date -u" to get
all the latest errata for 7.3, with their proper depends resolved.

All of this is assuming your network is actually up at the time. If it
isn't, apt-rpm and up2date are useless (unless you have a local to that
machine apt repository for that distro, which seems excessive to me),
and you'll have to do things the hard way. redhat-config-packages may
address some of these issues, but that's not in 7.3, only 8.0 and
Phoebe.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --