[TriLUG] eth0 flaky problem

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Feb 26 15:32:51 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:13:24 -0500 (EST) Lisa Lorenzin
<lorenzin at 1000plus.com> wrote:
> ps.  while i was testing this, i ran across yet another weirdness.  in
> all cases (static/dhcp, ONBOOT=yes/no, ethernet cable
> connected/disconnected)  the ethernet card comes up on boot.  it's
> like it's ignoring the ONBOOT value in ifcfg-eth0.  the weird thing
> is, "service network restart" will attempt to start it, or not attempt
> to start it, based on that value.  don't know if it's related, or just
> another odd data point...

Maybe related. Questions :

- Have you tried :

1) ifdown the interface
2) eject the card
3) reinsert the card? (ifup should run as part of the hotplug subsystem)

- do you have the latest (and I mean latest) errata installed (including
the kernel - because in the case of pcmcia the kernel is *DAMN*
important)?

FWIW, I've almost always had issues in the past with PCMCIA cards and
Linux. Red Hat 7.3 was one of the better platforms, although I used 3COM
PCMCIA cards almost exclusively for LAN.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --