[TriLUG] Red Hat kernel challenge

Matt Matthews jvm at linuxgames.com
Wed Feb 26 17:21:50 EST 2003

I'm testing out some different video hardware on an AMD SMP system running Red Hat 8.0.94 and part of my goal is to get NVIDIA's drivers installed for the testing. Unfortunately, there are conflicts between the released NVIDIA drivers and the kernel that comes with 8.0.94.

NVIDIA does have a kernel package designed for use with the previous two Red Hat kernels, 2.4.18-14 and 2.4.18-18.8.0. However, the SRPMs for these two kernels REFUSE to rebuild on a Red Hat 8.0.94 system, as far as I can tell. They both bomb out late in the process with:
Processing files: kernel-debuginfo-2.4.18-14
error: Could not open %files file /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.18/debugfiles.list: No such file or directory

Given that these are standard Red Hat kernel SRPMs, I was very surprised to find that neither would build on the newer system.

I've been told that this may have to do with the new RPM revision in the latest Red Hat beta. Anyone out there with similar problems or even solutions for getting these older SRPMs recompiled and installed?

The next step for me is a vanilla kernel, but I'd hoped to stay within the world of RPM so I didn't lose track of what's installed. (That is to say, I'd like to have a completely reproducible testing situation and I'd hoped that "stock" RPMs or simply RPMs from stock SRPMs would provide that.)

Thanks in advance,
matt

jvm at linuxgames.com
http://curmudgeon.linuxgames.com  | Thoughts on games, any type or system