[TriLUG] redhat-config-network question

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Thu Feb 27 11:14:22 EST 2003

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 10:36 AM, Brent Fox wrote:

> Actually, there is very little dependence on Gnome.  With GTK2, most of
> the useful widgets were moved out of the Gnome libs and into GTK
> itself.

And your average non-programmer KDE user will ask "what is the
difference?" (note that I am not quite asking that, but the lines are
blurry)

And I like the language used... "very little dependence" (which is
still dependence... it's like being "a little pregnant"... this is a
boolean switch)

> This is only my opinion and I don't mean to flame anyone, but it seems
> to me that to argue against unifying the look of Gnome and KDE is to
> argue against the concept of consistency.

No, it is to argue for personal choice.  I don't like Gnome.  I don't
like how it looks.  I don't like how it behaves.  I don't want it.  If
you want to use it, go ahead, but don't taint my wm of choice in the
name of bland consistency.

If you believe in consistency, why aren't you using Windows?  Over 90%
of computer users in this country are.  To argue against using Windows
is to argue against the concept of consistency.

> Consistency is a good thing.

*choke*

If the founders of Gnome and KDE really believed that, they would still
be using CDE & Motif.  If not that, then MS Windows.

Linux as a whole, and Red Hat in particular, are not consistent with
UNIX.  There doesn't seem to be a push to make it consistent with UNIX.
  There are of course good & bad aspects to it, but the simple fact of
the matter is that RH's actions are inconsistent with this statement
about consistency. :)

> We had to make some changes to achieve that consistency, but that is
> not
> adulteration.

I respectfully (and strongly) disagree about the latter point.

> In all honesty, we made just as many changes (if not, more) to Gnome
> for
> 8.0 as we did to KDE.  We get bashed for not giving KDE enough
> attention, then we get bashed for making too many improvements.

Honestly, did RH customers *ask* for unification of KDE & Gnome?  Did
the KDE project ask for it?

Chris Hedemark
PGP/GnuPG Public Key at http://yonderway.com/chris/hedemark.gpg