[TriLUG] Red Hat kernel challenge

Matt Matthews jvm at linuxgames.com
Thu Feb 27 13:11:02 EST 2003

On 27 Feb 2003 09:39:54 -0700 Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:
> I should've recognized your email address.

No problem. :^) I am honoured, though, that someone might recognize it.

> <embarrassed>
> What in the hell was I thinking sending Linux video driver advice to
> *you* ?
> </embarrassed>

Well, truth be told, I am seriously behind on some aspects. As others on the list can attest, a new kid around the homestead tends to suck away time from side projects like you never imagined. :^) I have agreed to do another article for LinuxGames, and so I'm doing a lot of research to catch up on what's available "in detail" as opposed to my recent "vague idea". I've got hardware, including a whole stable of video cards, and I'm fighting with the main system to get it into a shape that I feel will give reliable, reproduceable, representative results.

If anyone cares, I tried Gentoo but getting the newer cards (NV25, R200, R300) working with the very newest XFree86 4.2.99 was painful beyond my tolerance, even as a fairly experienced Gentoo user. Red Hat 8.0.94, on the other hand, has performed admirably with the NV25. (I will try the R200 and R300 later.) And, despite Katz's help (which, incidentally, didn't work for me) I've already burned RH8.0 discs and will be installing that system tonight; if I'm lucky, the GF4 and Rx00 will all work with that as well, but I'm prepared to sink time into that if need be. If all goes well, then I hope to begin serious testing on Friday. Then it'll be days of testing in Linux with several games. Finally, I'll pull the drive, put in another, and run the same tests with Windows 2000. If I don't go crazy first, I think it will be an interesting set of numbers all around.

While I was a bit flamous with my original response, I will tell you that had I been a newbie I would have truly appreciated the helping hand you offered. Too often emails go ignored by people that know enough to help; I'm guilty of this as much as anyone, and I'm embarassed by my failings in that regard. That you took the time to write a response was an example that I think we could all follow more often in our online lives. So, here's a belated "Thanks".

Regards,
matt

jvm at linuxgames.com
http://curmudgeon.linuxgames.com  | Thoughts on games, any type or system