[TriLUG] remote X display

Tarus Balog tarus at sortova.com
Wed Mar 5 14:11:13 EST 2003

Ryan Leathers said:

> How do I now get host A's X desktop displayed back on host B?

What do you mean by "desktop"? I am not sure that this can be done with
ssh and setting the DISPLAY variable.

X usually starts a window manager, such as KDE, and the window manager
*is* the desktop. I don't think you can send the "desktop" of machine A to
machine B, as you would have to have the window manager on A *run* on a
display on B, and my guess is there is already a window manager on B.

You should, however, be able to launch any X-based app that runs in a
window and have it display back on B with ssh and the proper DISPLAY
variable.

The only way I know of to do what you want would be to use VNC over SSH.
This would put the remote system's desktop in a window that can be managed
by your locale system's window manager.

-T

--
Tarus Balog