[TriLUG] Updating via RPM

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Mar 6 14:58:30 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 14:45, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> I created the RPM a few weeks back.  It contains about a dozen files.
> One of the files needs to be updated.  I updated the source and when I
> do rpm -Uvh rpmname, the file is not updated.  If I remove the old
> version and then do rpm -ivh rpmname the file *is* updated.

I assume that you did increment the release number of the RPM, right?

> Yes, there is a post section.  It pretty much just sets the file
> permissons to ensure that they are correct:
>
> %post
> chown sa /home/sa/*
> mkdir /home/sa/Desktop
> chown sa /home/sa/Desktop
> chmod 444 /home/sa/Desktop

You should be able to include the directories and their permissions
within the %files section of the RPM itself, but still there shouldn't
be a big problem with that.  (I could see that the "mkdir" part might
give an error if the /home/sa/Desktop already exists -- but the script
should continue anyway.)

> rpm -qa does show that the RPM was installed, however, using the -U
> option one the one file that was suppsed to change is not, in fact,
> changed.
>
> I used --force as part of the troubleshooting process because I wanted
> to see under what circumstances the RPM worked as expected and under
> what circumstances if failed to work as expected.

Well I suppose that's an okay use of --force ... :-)  Sorry for my
soapbox comments.

>  It works as expected
> if:
>
> No previous version installed:
> rpm -ivh rpmname
>
> Previous version installed:
>
> rpm -ivh rpmname --force
>
> rpm -e rpmname
> rpm -ivh rpmname
>
> It does not work as expected in the following case:
>
> rpm -Uvh rpmname

This definitely seems odd.

Is the file in question marked with %config or other special macro, or
is it just a "normal" file?

Is there any way you could post the .spec files in question?

If no one here answers your question, you could also consider posting to
rpm-list at redhat.com (see