[TriLUG] Debian vs Mandrake vs Redhat vs . . .

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Mar 10 20:41:04 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 18:20, Heath Holcomb wrote:

> I think either one would do the job fine. I'm personally more familiar
> with Red Hat and I use it on my workstations, but apt-get is very nice
> for installing and keeping server stuff up to date.

Don't forget that apt is available for RPM as well.  A popular source of
apt for rpm is the "Freshrpms" Red Hat add-on site, here:
	http://freshrpms.net/apt/
You do have to point it towards an apt repository (Freshrpms provides
one) instead of some place like Red Hat Network, but you can still be
assured that you're getting the official updates because Red Hat's
packages are GPG signed.

I find apt an excellent tool for maintaining Red Hat servers; we use it
on the TriLUG servers; I use it on several workstations at work too.

Also, TriLUG has also set up an apt for RPM repository on our mirror
server; for information on accessing this, see
	http://members.trilug.org/services_faq/

Hope this helps,
Jeremy