[TriLUG] Debian vs Mandrake vs Redhat vs . . .

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue Mar 11 15:24:52 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:57:05AM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> and Gentoo).  How many other distributions have security built in,
> out of the box?  How many other distributions let you choose your
> security model during installation (note that I'm not talking about
> firewalls, which many let you do)?  How many other ones include
> kernels specifically compiled for security?

Owl comes pretty close, but I understand your point.
http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

Also, I believe Mandrake uses the grsecurity patches these days for
Linux 2.4, which extend and enhance that provided in the Openwall patch.
http://grsecurity.net/

EnGarde seems quite security-conscious as well, but it is intended as a
server platform (not to mention that it's not 100% free).
http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/products/software/esp_overview.shtml

-Dan

Dan Chen                crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key: www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc