[TriLUG] OT: Designing a computer lab layout

Joe Meador linux at alien.biochem.wfubmc.edu
Wed Mar 12 16:59:14 EST 2003

Hey guys & gals,

The group I work for is about to create a new computer lab in a room 24 x
20 feet.  We'll have 6 PC's with some running Windows and some Linux, 3 SGI
workstations, and a Linux cluster in a rack enclosure.  We'll probably
have at least 1 networked printer and possibly a scanner, and will need
workspace for people with laptops.  The  room currently is not networked
but we are going to get 20 Ethernet jacks installed.  Are there any
precautions, suggestions, etc for setting a lab up.  The room *should*
already have sufficient ventalation.  I am unsure on how I should
physically have the room situated, what size/type desks we should get,
etc.  Also what kind of lighting we should look at (I know that the people
in it will probably want fairly soft lighting because they will be using
graphics "stereo" for molecule visualization, etc).

Thanks for any suggestions,

Joe Meador
joe at alien.biochem.wfubmc.edu