[TriLUG] Install Redhat 8.0 mouse problem

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Mar 13 13:13:33 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 09:31, Ken Wahl wrote:

> Nice board.  I'm running a Soyo K7VTA-Pro with the same Via KT-133A
> chipset and I didn't have that problem with RH 8 on install (although I
> am having problems with gdm crashing but that's another story).  I did have
> that problem with 7.x series though but it wasn't the mouse, it was DMA
> and CD-ROM drive.  It's a long shot since 7.x loaded OK for you but if
> you're trying to eliminate causes try passing the following parameter to
> the kernel
>
> ide=nodma

I've had good luck with the ide=nodma option when installing RHL 8 on an
certain server, too.  Of course this does disable DMA compeletely, which
you may or not want to do.  You could try re-enabling it after the
install.  (My recollection is that kernel parameters passed at the
install will automatically be added to /etc/modules.conf to be used on
future boots, but I'm not positive about that.)

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |