[TriLUG] Spamassassin question - Bayesian filtering

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 13 16:53:16 EST 2003

Ahh, yet another reason to use OpenBSD!

I like his tarpit idea, not that I would ever do that at a corporation,
but for a personal install it would be fun!

For those who don't want to follow the link, he runs SpamAssassin (via a
procmail script) to tag messages as spam.  He then runs a program
(relaydb) that grabs the valid IP addresses from the email and puts them
in a white (non-spam) or a black (spam) database.

If the number of spam messages from an IP exceeds the number of non-spam
by a factor of 3 then the IP is dumped in a <spammer> list and any
attempts to connect from that IP to port 25 are redirected to 8025.

Running on port 8025 is a tar-pit/smtp server which simply wastes the
connecting servers time (till it times out in 10 minutes).

<chuckle>