[TriLUG] MySql backup

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Fri Mar 21 07:31:11 EST 2003

I am fairly new to mysql myself but I beleive if you back up the
directories in /var/lib/mysql you will get all of the databases.  The
databases are stored in their own directory (named after the db) and can
be copied from one server to another and be accesible.  If you do not
backup the /var/lib/mysql/mysql with the other databases, you will have
to re-create users and permissions.  If this is NOT correct, would
someone please correct me, as this is my current plan of action for my
databases (unless I find something better...).

Oh yeah, I'm running Red Hat 7.3, your distribution may use a different
data directory(?).  To find out: `cat /etc/my.cnf` and check the
datadir= line.

HTH & TIA!

--mike