[TriLUG] [OT] Win2k boot problem

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 22:20:35 EST 2003

Yes, I'm asking a Windows question to a LUG, but there are plenty of
folks here that deal with both sides of the force. Also, my problem
involves Linux, sort of.

I upgraded the HD on my dual boot(win2k/rh8) desktop. See, it involves
Linux. I did a file based copy of each partition from the old drive to
the new one. Everything copied fine and once I got grub installed,  RH8
has been running fine. Today I tried to boot to win2k and got a message
that it was an invalid system disk. I think all of the win2k files are
there and on the same partition (hda1) that win2k was on before the
transfer. It's a FAT32 partition. I'm pretty sure I need the Win2k
equivalent of 'SYS C:' or maybe 'FORMAT /MBR'. More likely the former. I
can get the repair console up on the non-booting installation, but I'm
M$ clueless. I have no idea what to do once I'm at the command line. Any
ideas?

Oh yeah. I can't go back to the original drive. It's already in my MAC
and reformatted.

Thanks,
Ken