[TriLUG] Red Hat 9.0 ?!?!

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sun Mar 23 05:12:05 EST 2003

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:47:04 -0500, Ken Wahl <ken at kenwahl.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 05:46:11PM -0500, Brent Verner wrote:
> >
> > This is probably less of a joke than you realize.  With Redhat's
> > recent (and smart!) business direction, I predict they will only
> > be releasing .0 and .1 versions as $free "Redhat Linux," and the
> > fully debugged, stable version will be sold as "Redhat Enterprise
> > Linux".
> >

> And this is a good thing?  It sounds to me that Red Hat is planning on
> giving their home/personal/enthusiast users the shaft - allowing them
> only to use buggy beta/.0/.1 versions unless there willing to cough up
> hundreds of $$ for the enterprise version.  Sounds similar to another
> software colossus that drove me to linux in the first place.

And that colossus is not what most of you are thinking (for me)!!  Can
you say Sun (Solaris)?  Or IBM (AIX)?  Or how about the original colossus
that drove many of us to free linux in the first place, AT&T/USL/SCO?!?

(I know, I know, most of you were thinking of that Redmond company (no,
not Rational), weren't you?  Or, heaven forbid, that Massachusetts
company, DEC.)

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA