[TriLUG] sendmail & aliases

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun Mar 23 17:56:03 EST 2003

disclaimer: i'm a postfix user, so take all this with a grain of salt.

1. on my rh8 box, there is no /etc/mail/aliases, but rather /etc/aliases (and
/etc/postfix/aliases as well).  if you have moved the file, this may cause
problems.

2. rh8 gives you the option of installing both sendmail and postfix.  to keep
them from stepping on each other's toes, there are many symlinks, workarounds
(see /etc/alternatives), and extra files added which make things more
complicated then a single-mta system.  for example:

[jason at holly jason]$ ls -l /usr/bin/ | grep newaliases
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 Mar 20 10:46 newaliases ->
/etc/alternatives/mta-newaliases
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           31 Mar 20 11:14 newaliases.postfix ->
../../usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Mar 20 10:46 newaliases.sendmail ->
../../usr/sbin/sendmail

i don't know exactly what /etc/alternatives/mta-newaliases does, nor do i
understand the latter two files point to, but iy may be that your problem
lies somewhere in this area.  maybe you need to run
/usr/bin/newaliases.sendmail instead of /usr/bin/newaliases.

finally, try running redhat-switchmail just to make sure that all of your
settings are pointing to sendmail and not postfix.  probably won't change
anything but it can't hurt to double check.

good luck - jason