[TriLUG] OT schools

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 24 10:14:18 EST 2003

Speaking as someone who used to review technical resumes back in the
heyday I can say that a four year degree in a field related to
computers is great but if I were looking at two candidates both with
four year degrees and one who had a certificate or two from a local
tech school, such as Wake Tech, I would give the nod to the four
year/cert. combination every time (assuming the candidates are equal in
all other respects).

Since the market for technology is in such disarray right now I'd say
that attending a four year school is a good idea and by the time he or
she graduates I would expect they would have a better idea of which
area of concentration they would like to base their career on
(networks, system admin, programming, etc).   But once your kid
graduates get him or her straight to a good two-year tech school to get
certifications in whichever primary, and maybe even secondary, field of
interest they might find.  The extra 6 months or year in a two year
school will be worth 10x what it costs in time and money to complete
the courses, IMHO.

I think it's been said already, but four year schools are great for
theory and general knowledge but sometimes nothing beats hands-on
classes you'll get at a local tech school.  A combination of both is
unbeatable, IMHO.

Just my $.02.

Greg