[TriLUG] file size limit

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Mar 24 10:18:04 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 09:19, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> A follow up on Jeremy's post about "O_LARGEFILE" flag:
>
> Is this specific to Linux binaries or universal to (C) universally?  We
> tried to do a similar process (writing a > 2GB file from an executable)
> under Solaris and got a similar error message (it did not say file was too
> large, but core dumped at the same file size as the error occurred in
> Linux).

I'm not a developer, so I don't know the details, but I ran "man 2 open"
on a Solaris 8 box and it does seem to support this:

     O_LARGEFILE
           If set, the offset maximum in the open  file  descrip-
           tion  is  the  largest  value  that can be represented
           correctly in an object of type off64_t.

But there might be other issues besides just opening the file with the
right flag.  Also, there may be differences between 32-bit and 64-bit
platforms (normally you shouldn't have problems with large files on a
64-bit machine).

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |