[TriLUG] TriLUG server maintenance details

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sun Mar 30 22:34:24 EST 2003

Okay, so there was downtime.  Why, you may ask?  We had a few things
going on.

The first item on the list, was a kernel update for moya, which serves
as the trilug mail and list server, webserver, and is currently a shell
server.  While a kernel update doesn't really require someone onsite,
it's usually a good idea, in case something goes wrong.

The second item related to one of several hardware donations/swaps that
made all this possible.  John Beimler traded a nice, manageable 10/100
Bay Networks switch for one of our smaller, unmanagable switches.  This
will allow us to grab many neato statistics about our bandwidth
utilization (which we'll of course make available on our website).
Thanks John!

The third thing was the addition of a new server (crichton), which will
serve as a Gforge (http://gforge.org/) server, allowing us to host
various open source projects.  This was a Dell PowerEdge 2200 donated by
TriLUG member  Kevin Flanagan, and we added some RAM purchased by TriLUG,
thanks to a donation from Reginald Reed.  The system was set up by
Hunter Mathews.  Thanks Kevin, Hunter and Reginald!

The forth, and largest (and most complex) job was replacing our primary
ftp server, dargo, holder of our mirrors.  Jason Tower donated an IBM
Netfinity 5500 M10 with an external SCSI array.  This system is more
powerful than the system it replaces, and, ironically, fits much better
in our rack.  The Netfinity was missing four hotswap trays (every disk
in the array is hotswap, making drive replacement a breeze), so Scott
Morris donated four trays.  Unfortunately, these trays did not fit our
Netfinity. :( We'll see what we can do about scaring up some more trays.
One other minor hitch was that many of the trays in the external array
didn't have mounting holes.  This really confused us, but Jeremy Portzer
sent a plea to the list, and Larry White responded with his drill, and
made holey disk trays.  And Elliot Peele has been a big help with
setting up the mirrors, and maintaining our current
(http://current.tigris.org/) server.  Thanks Jason, Scott, Jeremy,
Larry, and Elliot.

Big thank yous to all that donated equipment, and the install crew of
Hunter Mathews, Jason Tower, Jeremy Portzer, and Tanner Lovelace!
Big thanks guys!

There are a lot of people who work on the TriLUG servers, setting them
up, keeping them running, and generally maintaining the server farm.
Everything even seems to generally run without a hitch.  Big
thanks/kudos to the whole TriLUG Sys team!  Thanks y'all!

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak