[TriLUG] Re: sendmail header question

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Mon Mar 31 02:20:57 EST 2003

Joseph Tate <jtate at dragonstrider.com> wrote:

> As for the aol.com mail relay rule: it's /etc/mail/mailertable, but
> then you have to run make to generate the proper mailertable.db.  You
> will have to use it as follows:
> aol.com    smtp:smtp-server.nc.rr.com
>
> Of course you're going to need add a line for each of aol, compuserv,
> earthlink and anyone else who blocks from a dynamic IP.

Yea, and did you notice that those are all companies owned by AOL?  They
bought CompuServ in the late '90s, and Earthlink a year ago last summer
(shortly after Earthlink bought Mindspring -- another one to add to your
list).  I used to be a Mindspring customer and jumped ship when AOL made
worse the already deteriorating service from Earthlink.

I am now on BellSouth, and I think they also emailed me a similar policy
bulletin last December that they were going to start doing this.  I am
just starting to set my own up, but I helped a friend set up his, and he
has it set to attempt a direct mailing, watch for the rejection, and then
use the defined "smarter host" of his ISP.  This way there is no list to
maintain, but some procmail scripting to catch rejections for resending.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA