[TriLUG] sendmail, procmail, and damaged 'from ' lines in mbox files

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Wed Apr 2 11:55:36 EST 2003

i've just discovered that *something* appears to be occasionally
damaging my mbox inbox (/var/spool/mail/$USER) on my server.
procmail is my local delivery agent, and so all the messages
get their 'From ' lines rewritten to 'From coar  <date>'.

however, i've just noticed that sometimes this is truncated to
'rom coar  <date>' -- i.e., the leading 'F' gets gobbled somehow.

anyone ever encounter this?  i haven't found anything in google
yet..
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"