[TriLUG] Interesting article: Ellison: Linux will wipe Microsoft out of the data center

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Apr 3 14:10:52 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 13:53, Joseph Tate wrote:
> Stored procedures (PL/pgSQL or C).  Triggers.  I can't remember if Mysql
> supports BLOBs or not, but Postgres does.  Up until 4.x there wasn't any
> transaction support (Commit/Rollback) in Mysql.

MySQL does support BLOB equivalents (called TEXT I believe), and what
I've heard is that they perform much better than Postgres. But yes, the
lack of stored procedures and triggers does make MySQL much less
useful.   I haven't played with MySQL 4 yet, but the 3.23 versions don't
even support row-level locking or transactions (unless you use a
non-free(dom) software table type).

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |