[TriLUG] Interesting article: Ellison: Linux will wipe Microsoft out of the data center

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Apr 4 07:04:48 EST 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:53:19 -0500 Joseph Tate <jtate at dragonstrider.com>
wrote:

> Stored procedures (PL/pgSQL or C).  Triggers.  I can't remember if
> Mysql supports BLOBs or not, but Postgres does.  Up until 4.x there
> wasn't any transaction support (Commit/Rollback) in Mysql.

MySQL also lacks proper sequences. Sure you can auto-increment a column,
but it's not as thread-safe as proper sequences, and you can't use
the auto-increment to pre-fetch the value for use in multiple queries.

Did MySQL implement complex joins yet? While this isn't "beginner SQL"
it's something you run into needing very quickly after you learn the
basics.

One *HUGE* stumbling block I always had with MySQL was the inability to
"insert into foo values ((select id from bar where x=y))" or "select a
from b where a=(select c from d)"

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --