[TriLUG] sendmail question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 5 17:28:55 EST 2003

Well that log entry says that it passed the mail off to
smtp-server.nc.rr.com.  So according to the logs it is working.

You say that you can receive mail. So if I send a note to
mike at redhat1.canismajor.org it will get to you?

Looking at the DNS setup, only canismajor.org can accept mail.  So your
mail is going to:
  canismajor.org  mail exchanger = 10 canismajor.org.
  canismajor.org  mail exchanger = 90 smtp.easydns.com.
  canismajor.org  mail exchanger = 100 smtp2.easydns.com.

You must be picking your mail up from one of those servers (or
forwarding it on from one of those servers to your own).

===
To make sure that your smtp forwarding is working properly, try to
telnet on port 25 from the server to smtp-server.nc.rr.com:
  telnet smtp-server.nc.rr.com 25

===
Sendmail comes setup almost completely for you, so if you setup the DNS
properly, then it should simply work.

Jon Carnes