[TriLUG] sendmail question

Heath Holcomb bluetea at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 5 18:46:24 EST 2003

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 05:54:24PM -0500, mike wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 17:28, Jon Carnes wrote:
> > Well that log entry says that it passed the mail off to
> > smtp-server.nc.rr.com.  So according to the logs it is working.
> >
> > You say that you can receive mail. So if I send a note to
> > mike at redhat1.canismajor.org it will get to you?
> >
> This is where I thought the problem may lay.  The mail address should be
> mike at canismajor.org so it maybe that I have something set incorrectly.
>
> Mike

For what it's worth, I just finished setting exim to use
smtp-server.nc.rr.com as a smart host for outgoing mail and I found that
it would not work unless the From: header in the outgoing message contained my
Road Runner address.

The mail would be passed off to Road Runner, but would not be sent any
further. It appeared to be working correctly from looking at the logs
just as you say. I ended up having to configure exim to tranlate my local
email address into my RR address to get messages to actually go
somewhere.

I don't know anything about sendmail configuration files, so I can't really
tell if this is relevent to your problem, but whatever...

Good luck,

Heath

--
Heath Holcomb