[TriLUG] installing Mandrake 9.1 from the network

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 5 20:10:38 EST 2003

I have attempted to set up my own Mandrake mirror and, once again, it doesn't seem to work right.  Here's what I did:

1. download the ISOs
2. create the directory /opt/mirror/mandrake/9.1/Mandrake
3. mount the first installation CD
4. create base image RPMS RPMS2 RPMS3 under the Mandrake dir.
5. copy the RPMS out of RPMS form disk 1 to ./RPMS
6. copy the images out of images
7. copy the base stuff out of base
8. move on to the next CD, copy the info in RPMS2 to ./RPMS2

...and so on

Once all that was one I created a boot disk, popped it in my laptop, then started the network install.  Everything went well up until about halfway through the installation process when it starts to complain out "error installing packages".  The one it's stuck on now is "libhermes1-1.3.2.8mdk.i586".  I hit "ok" but it just keeps getting stuck on one thing or another.

This is basically the same error that I ran into last time I tried to do a network install of Mandrake (which I must do on this laptop because my CD drive refuses to boot media regardless of BIOS settings).

Any help poinint out where I've gone wrong would be very helpful!  For now I guess I'll reinstall RH 8 via the network (which DOES work from my own mirror).

Greg