[TriLUG] installing Mandrake 9.1 from the network

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sat Apr 5 23:28:40 EST 2003

You can't actually do a network install of mandrake this way.  The
hdlist.cz
files specify which file is on which CD and if you copy them to the hard
drive they won't be were they're expected.  A better way of doing a
hard drive install would be to use the CDs to seed a mirror then use
rsync to fill in the missing files (i.e. the correct hdlist.cz files).
Take a look at the mirror on distro.ibiblio.org to see how to setup
the hard drive.  Basically, iirc, all the rpms in RPMS{1,2,3...}
should go into one RPMS/ directory, except for those files that are
considered part of contrib (assuming they included contrib this time,
they didn't with 9.0).  Once you do that, rsync will just copy the
missing files down and you'll have what you need.

Cheers,
Tanner